Caravaca de la Cruz Running of the Wine Horses

Let us know what's on...
El cartero

Caravaca de la Cruz Running of the Wine Horses

Postby El cartero » 30 Apr 2018 15:49

he Running of the Wine Horses is a fantastic fiesta to attend, it takes place on the same day every year; the 2nd May. The fiesta, known in Spanish as the ‘Caballos del Vino’ has been declared as being of International Tourist Interest and is a well worth enjoying. It starts on Tuesday 1st May and continues until Saturday 5th May 2018.

There are lots of parades, processions and re-enactments aside from the main event of the actual running of the wine horses, which takes place on Wednesday 2nd May at 14:00.
Tuesday 1st May
11:00 Flower Offering Parade including the Moors, Christians and the Wine Horses
16:00 Horse hair contest
21:00 Parade of the Music Bands
22:30 Singing of the traditional Himno a Caravaca followed by Firework display

Wednesday 2nd May Running of the Wine Horses
07:00 Diana during which the bells are rung and loud firecrackers are let off in the streets.
09:00 Mass in the Templete where all of the Moors, Christians and Wine Horse congregate.
09:30 Parade of the Wine Horses and their Riders
12:00 Parade of the Moors and Christians followed by the Blessing of the Wine.
14:00 Running of the Wine Horses starts and continues until all 60 horses have raced from the town up to the Real Basílica-Santuario de la Vera Cruz.
20:30 Mock battle in the Cuesta del Castillo which the Moors win.
21:00 Parade of the Patron Saint and the Vera Cruz in which the Moors and Christians participate from the Real Basílica-Santuario to the Parroquia de El Salvador.

Thursday 3rd May
11:30 Grand Children's Parade in which the Moors, Christians and Wine Horses participate
17:15 Solemn Procession during which the Verz Cruz is taken to the Cuesta de la Cruz followed by a magnificent Firework Display.

Friday 4th May
19:30 Grand Parade of the Moors and Christians, followed by a magnificent Firework Display.

Saturday 5th May
18:00 Final Procession to return the statue of Nuestra Stma. y Vera Cruz from the Parroquia del El Salvador to the Basilica-Santuario.
00:00 Spectacular Firework display to mark the end of the fiesta.

In my mind I live in San Miguel De Salinas, in my wallet I live in Kent

Return to “What's On”