Moors and Christians Monforte del Cid

Let us know what's on...
El cartero

Moors and Christians Monforte del Cid

Postby El cartero » 30 Nov 2017 12:44

The Moors, Christians and Mercenaries will be marching in the town of Monforte del Cid from the 5th to the 9th December 2017. The fiesta is being held in honour of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception and includes may parades, re-enactments of battles, religious ceremonies and of course fireworks! The English version of the programme is:

Tuesday 5th December
20:00 Flower Offering Parade by the captains and the music bands of each company to the Templo Parroquial where the flowers will be offered and the traditional hymns sung.
21:00 Opening Ceremony for the Fiesta from the balcony of the Ayuntamiento (town hall).
00:00 Gran Alborada, ringing of the church bells and firing of the guns at the headquarters of each company.
00:30 Retreta Parade.

Wednesday 6th December
18:30 Grand Parade of the Moors, Christians and Mercenaries (known in Spanish as contrabandistas) along Avenida de Alicante and Avenida de la Constitucion.

Thursday 7th December
10:30 Parade of the Moors, Christians, Mercenaries and the local dignitaries from the town hall to the Templo Parroquial.
11:00 Mass.
12:00 Parade to the location when the Embassy takes place.
13:00 Embassy (diplomatic speeches to avoid the war) of the Mercenaries, after which each company will parade to their headquarters.
16:00 War in the area surrounding the castle, which the Moors win.
17:30 Embassy of the Moors.
19:00 Parade of the Bajada de las Guerrillas along Calle de Reyes Catolicos and Avenida de Alicante.

Friday 8th December
10:00 Parade for the Moors, Christians and the Mercenaries from the town hall to the Templo Parroquial.
12:30 General Parade of the Moors, Christians and the Mercenaries along Avenida de Alicante and Avenida de la Constitucion.
16:00 War in the area surrounding the castle, which the Christians win, symbolising the reconquest.
17:30 Embassy of the Christians.
18:30 Parade of the Bajada de las Guerrillas along Calle de Reyes Catolicos and Avenida de Alicante.
21:00 Solemn Procession with the statue of Our Lady La Inmaculada Conception, followed by a Grand Firework Display.

Saturday 9th December
10:00 Alegre Diana (happy early morning parade) with the music bands.
11:00 Parade of all of the companies along the streets of the town.
17:00 Lowering of the flags and the ending of the the fiesta.

In my mind I live in San Miguel De Salinas, in my wallet I live in Kent

Return to “What's On”