Hiring a car in the UK- new UK D.L. rules

johnm40

Hiring a car in the UK- new UK D.L. rules

Postby johnm40 » 04 Jun 2015 14:03

If you're hiring a vehicle in the UK from Monday 8th June 2015, with a UK drivers licence, you'll need to visit the DVLA's website first and get a printout of your licence or a 'check code'.

From Monday June 8, the paper part of the UK driving licence which shows details of restrictions and penalties will be scrapped.

Instead, the DVLA is warning anyone who needs to view these details to use its online "view your driving licence" service.
The effect of the changeover is likely to be worst for those hiring cars, because hire companies could want to access the DVLA's site to check drivers' full records.

If you're hiring a car in the UK, here's what to do to be safe:
• Keep and take with you your old printed counterpart anyway, just in case the car hire firm expects to see it (and doesn't know about the change);
• Before you travel, log in to the DVLA's site and print off an updated PDF version of your licence, including penalty details;
• Before you travel (and within 72 hours of hiring the car) log in to the DVLA website and obtain a "check code" like the one shown below, which the hire firm can use to see your online licence.

In order to get your licence details via the DVLA's site and request a check code you'll need three bits of information: your full licence number (which usually begins with all or part of your name), your National Insurance number and your postcode.
You can only make five code requests in any 72-hour period.

The car hire firm enters the check code, along with several of the letters and digits from your licence number, in order to view your whole licence.
What the car hire firm would see to confirm that you have a clean licence

You could of course log in from the airport or car hire desk if you forget or can't do this beforehand but you'll need internet access. Depending on where you are, this could be costly or unavailable.

You'll also need to have your NI number to hand, which holidaymakers often don't.

It's not clear how many hire firms know about the change, or would want to go to the length of making the full licence check in any case.

I have contacted HERTZ today and customer services confirm that they will still be asking for sight of the paper part of your driving licence...for the moment! I guess that is because they have not caught up with the changes at the DVLA namely that the paper part of your licence will no longer be updated with any recent penalties or convictions........

:algorfaforum:
Nobody knows that your a dog on the internet!

Damatt

Re: Hiring a car in the UK- new UK D.L. rules

Postby Damatt » 20 Jun 2015 19:00

With our recent experience of Hertz, then would not believe what they say. My daughter was in Canada and hired and paid for a car from Calgary before she left the UK but they would not give it to her as she did not have a credit card though their site says it is not required and a debit card is fine, we have that in writing via twitter but Calgary still would not release it, so left stranded at airport and needing to get to Banff.

Best to do it all.

Debby

Postby Debby » 20 Jun 2015 19:17

Same rule if you rent a car in Spain.

johnm40

Postby johnm40 » 21 Jun 2015 12:31

This saga is related to the service from Hertz on my arrival at East Midlands Airport on 16th June...

Terminal hire desk, " You do know the green part of your licence is no longer valid?...."

I explained the phone call with customer services and quoted the phone number etc....

You will have to provide a check code from the dvla which is available on the internet!
After realising I did not have internet access he offered to call the DVLA help line. The lady in Swansea suggested I could go on line and obtain a code to give to the Hertz agent.........

I convinced her to provide a code after a lengthy discussion and proving who I was.........

Hertz then released a car, but it was still being cleaned. By the time I walked to the collection point it would be available.
I set off to the Hire car pick up point and found it was a walk that took 20 mins! Hertz only hire cars to fit and able bodied at EMA!

THERE IS NO SHUTTLE BUS AND IF THE WEATHER IS WET....THEN SO WILL YOU BE WET.......

Guess the reverse walk will follow the vehicle return.

In future EMA car hire is a no no for me

Tip: Obtain a "Code" from Dvla before Hire Car pick up and print out your details to avoid any embarasment at check in!
Nobody knows that your a dog on the internet!

Aly Gorfa

Code now valid for 21 days

Postby Aly Gorfa » 12 Jul 2015 16:23

The code is now valid for 21 days, following consumer pressure. Will be reviewed in 3 months.

Not able to get link to paste from money saving expert, perhaps someone else will oblige?

3reads

Postby 3reads » 13 Jul 2015 15:00

Aly Gorfa wrote:The code is now valid for 21 days, following consumer pressure. Will be reviewed in 3 months.

Not able to get link to paste from money saving expert, perhaps someone else will oblige?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/t ... -criticism

Hope this works
I need therapy.... retail therapy

La Finca

Postby La Finca » 16 Jul 2015 09:44

well that wont effect me as I have a Spanish DL another reason to change over to a Spanish one if you live here.
Beware the Dark side

41NewportRd
Profile: Currently no information has been added...

Postby 41NewportRd » 24 Jul 2015 09:37

When hiring a car, what happens about any additional drivers, do you need to get a check code for them, or is it just the 'hirer'?

Return to “Car Hire Experiences”